How to make crystal deodorant
Safe for man and harmless for environment, eco-cosmetics is very popular nowadays. Perhaps, everybody has not once heard about miraculous Fresh Crystal (Purex Crystal), which reliably protects from sweat and has no negative influence on human body. The content of such eco-deodorant is simple – potassium alum, which makers put in user-friendly package. Such deodorant is very easy to do yourself, it turns out to be none worse than bought one, but far cheaper.
- Potassium alum – 3.46 oz (98 g)
- Glycerol – 0.05 oz (1.5 g)
- Zinc oxide – 0.02 oz (0.5 g)
We mix glycerol with zinc oxide (or disperse, as chemists say).
Mix it till we get a homogeneous white mass.
We add potassium alum to glycerol with zinc oxide. If they have form of large crystals, it’s better to grind them to fine powder.
Potassium alum have strong astringent and germicidal properties, they prevent from generation of bacteria on skin, so they reliably protect from unwanted smell.
We put container with potassium alum on water bath, of course close it on the top. Under such conditions alum are melted without water way, crystallizing water doesn’t evaporate but liquefies the mass. In 20-25 minutes the powder turns into turbid liquid gel, which you should quickly pour in silicone filler prepared on advance.
You have to do everything very quickly as melted alum immediately cool and become solid. You see on the photo how last drops of cooled gel have become solid and turned into icicle.
We leave gel mass to cool for 1-2 hours and easily take out the ready deodorant from the mold.
Before using the crystal should be dropped in water a little and applied to skin of armpits (or feet, hands and other parts, which suffer from excessive sweating) with circle movements. You may apply dry deodorant on pre-moistened skin of armpits – everyone chooses the most convenient way of using such deodorant.
- You need to keep such deodorant in a jar with a lid. In spite of the fact that it turns out to be very solid, the crystal should be protected from sudden damage and falls – it will break.
- To make crystal deodorant you should use mold with flowing round edges, so that it won’t damage skin with sharp angles.
- Despite its deodorant effect, the crystal from potassium alum can disinfect wounds; can stop bleeding from abrasions and cuts.
Was this article helpful? Share with friends!