How to Make a Gloomy Cat in Origami
Perhaps, at night all cats are gray, but these gloomy origami cats are figures which are extraordinary in every sense. If you have never folded paper before in your life or have only managed to make a folded ship, you may create this project as a souvenir.
Paper will undergo many folds before a simple paper will turn into a steady silhouette of a cat.
Let’s remember that the “curved” bends are called “mountain” (we bend “from themselves”), and “concave” would refer to the “valley” (we bend “on themselves”). Using this scheme, these are designated by a dot-dash line and a dotted line respectively. Look at photos often, verify all bends and you’ll cope with this project.
Number of point corresponds to the number specified in the photos.
1. For assembly of origami cat we will use a square sheet of color paper painted from one side.
2. We begin by folding on the white part of the colored paper. We plan vertical concave bend.
3. We start creating the cat figure from its tail. Two thirds of this guideline are all about the description of the assembly of the cat’s tail. We bend the top corners of the sheet to the center.
4. We fold side parts to the midline.
5. Unfold the two of last bends as shown on 5th picture.
6. Turn the colored paper over.
7. Bend the right edge combining it with the left curved fold.
8. Unfold the paper again.
9. The left edge is symmetrically bent (like at 7th step), combining it with the right bend.
10. Unfold the paper again. Now the sheet is crossed by five vertical lines: alternating “mountains” and “valleys”.
11. We overturn the sheet of paper.
12. Unfold the right top corner of the paper.
13-16. On photos 13-16 it is sequentially shown how to properly transform the right half of the workpiece. To get everything has turned out correctly, pay special attention to picture 13 where is pictured the map of “mountains” and “valleys” which should be laid on the bends created at the previous stages is drawn.
17. Once again we verify the result. Just we curved the right corner inside and turned out the right side of the sheet to the left.
18. And now it is important that to pay attention to the 18th image, to curve a corner and to take away a leaf back to the right. For this purpose lift the triangular layer of paper.
19. Start curving a corner. All the lines for this purpose are already created, we simply bend the “mountains” and “valleys” according to the scheme presented on 18th picture.
20. The vertical strip of paper, with already three-layers, keeps within its former place. Verify the result with picture.
21. Do the steps 11-20 with the left side of workpiece. Here is the unfolded cat’s tail, but there is a lot of work still before completion.
22. We lift the middle triangular layers of paper.
23. Bend the workpiece lengthways. The long closed side settles to the right.
24. The resulting figure (top part of it) must be similar to the figure seen on 24th photo.
25-26. Right top part of workpiece is taken away down and to the right, curving indicated on the photo slash-dot line. In other words, you need to turn out this most right top part.
27. From above the resulting figure looks like 27th picture.
28. And here is a view of the figure from below.
29. And as a whole the figure turned out into a multi-layered figure.
30. Let’s continue working the tail.
31. We work over the top vertical slice of paper: we bend it lengthways.
32. From the lower part of the paper the paw of the origami cat rises.
33. We flatten it in a triangle so that its basis crosses the point noted on the photo. (In this point the vertical and horizontal lines are crossed)
34. Here is a photo of the not so finished cat in a full-length (a cat with head over heels because we are still occupied with tail production).
35. We overturn workpiece in a reverse side.
36. We repeat steps 30-33.
37. We overturn a reverse side to itself and continue to work.
38. We lower the top layer. Further we should concave inside the layer of paper designated on each fragment of the scheme equally: trapeze with A-A1-B1-B tops. Pay attention that the A-A1 and B-B1 lines remain direct and parallel with each other. And B-B1-A1 corner, bending, at first it is necessary to rumple strongly, and then to straighten inside of the figure.
39. On all images of photo 39 the party processed figure on step 38 – the different stages (but permanently directed to the right) is presented.
40. We overturn workpiece.
41. We repeat 38th step. We see a multi layered, but flat workpiece. The most considerable part of a figure of our cat – a tail – is ready now.
42. If not to hold it, it looks just like this.
43. Place the cat figure tail down. As it is shown on a photo.
44. We now make the head. We bend the top part down so that were combined the top right point and the bottom diagonal bend point (this point is marked on 43th picture).
45. We unfold.
46. We take away the top layer of paper.
47. Also we flatten out the top part in a triangle, following the grid of bends stated on 46th picture.
48. Here so it looks on the plane.
49. Place the figure by the open side down.
50. Now we work with recently formed triangular folds – we will make a muzzle.
51. We lift the lateral vertical layers by the lines designated on 50th picture. In the middle of the triangle will be the future nose of the cat and on both sides of the nose paper needs to be flattened out to get white triangles of the cheeks.
52. The bent triangles shouldn’t adjoin on the top part, these will be made into eyes.
53. We unbend down corners of eyes.
54-55. We flatten out triangles of a nose and an eyes.
56. We verify result.
57. We fold the ears.
58. As a whole the figure of a cat now looks more like a cat.
59. We unbend the left part of the cat’s head to open its trunk.
60. We bend on a diagonal.
61. And turn the cat’s muzzle toward to you.
62 . We unbend a forehead corner, we round by means of a pencil a trunk and a tail. The cat from paper is now ready.
- Likes received:Amount of "likes" is based on popularity of author´s articles and reviews in social networks. The more "likes" your publications get, the higher the total number of your "likes".
- Reviews count: 3
- Comments count: 2
- Articles count: 23