How to cut the onion and not cry
The onion is one of the most common spices. I like to add onions to salads and meat, not to mention the preparation of onion pie. Of course, if you have a processor or other mechanical means for slicing onions, you don’t need to worry to about crying while preparing onions. What if these techniques are not ideal for preparing several pieces of onions? How do you cut an onion and not cry? This question troubled me for a long time. Over the years, tried all. I came to the conclusion that the same method may not help different people – that was the panacea to prevent crying but for a different brand it did not help at all.
- Faucet with cold water
- Any protection for the nose and eyes – a gauze bandage and swimming glasses
- Pan with cold water
- Boiling water
- Lighted candle wax
- To start let us see why cutting onions brings tears. The fact that prominent onion juice contains low concentrations of sulfuric acid. When you cut onions, acid vapors fly straight up and as soon as these reach your eyes, your eyes will start to burn. Hence you will produce tears. This means that all methods of struggle with onion tears can be divided into two groups. The first will include ways to protect your eyes from the burning acid fumes (you can offer a lot of ways to mask and gauze bandages to swimming glasses, but most likely, sooner or later, the acid that is produced when cutting onions will reach the eyes and could be very uncomfortable). Methods of the second group are aimed at neutralizing these vapors.
- So, the easiest way – always wet the knife that cut the onion with cold water. The disadvantage of this method is that you need to expose the blade under running ice water, very often, before every movement. This option is ideal for you if a cutting table is in the immediate vicinity of the sink.
- Having a good dexterity, you can thread the needle and slice the onions in a pan with just cold water. Just be careful this kind of slicing may cut you as well.
- Alternatively, you can try to cut onions while using cold running water. This method has long been known and widely distributed, but only a few housewives talk about its effectiveness.
- A good way is to cool peeled onions. After cleaning the bulbs from the peel, put them in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- The same effect can be achieved when peeled onions are scalded with boiling water. You may also use lemon. Lemon juice is able to neutralize the acid vapors. So before you start cutting onions, cut a lemon with the knife not wiping the blade, then start cutting up onions.
- Another way to reduce burning onion is salt. Peel onions and soak for 5-7 minutes in a well-salted warm water.
- Wiping the cutting board with vinegar will also help reduce the harmful onion fumes, but that such a method will affect the very taste of vegetables.
- To get rid of the burning vapor bulbs, you can cut it in the open window. The breeze will blow the onion fluids away from your eyes. For this purpose you can use an electric fan to be positioned so that its blades create air flow between the onions and you.
- It is believed that if you breathe more from the mouth or into the throat than in the nose, tears will be much less. To do this, slicing onions, breathe from mouth wide open. Some people recommend to just intensely chew gum. As a variety, try belting or recite poetry.
- Place a cutting board next to a lit candle wax. This will contribute to the oxidation of sulfur, which will change its composition and will save your eyes from burning.
- Onion root contains the largest concentration of acid, so proceed with its cutting last.
- It would be much better if you use a very sharp knife in cutting onions; it would be better if you used a thin knife, without teeth. The less time you spend on the process of cutting, the sooner you will get rid of the burning in your eyes.
- Contrary to popular opinion, contact lenses do not protect the eyes from too much onion vapors. You will still cry just like people who do not use contact lenses. Lenses may also become damaged due to the acid fumes from onions. Therefore, if possible, remove your contact lens while cutting onions.
Was this article helpful? Share with friends!