How to deal with food poisoning
The consequences of using low-quality products could be very dangerous. Within a few pleasurable hours of eating at the table your pleasure will be replaced by a sharp pain in the stomach, nausea or diarrhea. The best option is to see a doctor at once. But light food poisoning can be treated successfully at home; below you will find some tips on how to deal with food poisoning.
- Baking soda, mustard powder
- Medicines for diarrhea (Smectite, Imodium, Loperamide, etc)
- Activated charcoal or products based on it
- Drink plenty of warm water
- Medications for the restoration of intestinal microflora
- You must always remember this rule. If a person has a case of poisoning with at least one of the following symptoms, you should immediately call an ambulance: respiratory failure, severe diarrhea and dehydration, extreme pain in the abdomen, cramping, fever, or no improvement of symptoms within a few days. You should not self-medicate children (especially pre-school children), the elderly, people with serious diseases of the cardiovascular system, disruption of liver or kidney failure and pregnant women.
- A person needs immediate hospitalization if you suspect mushroom poisoning. Usually, in addition to general symptoms of poisoning, there is excessive salivation, visual disturbances and the person may experience hallucinations.
- If you have been a victim of poisoning, stay home. Going out or working can increase the severity of your symptoms. You will fine in a couple of hours and maybe be able to get to work but after a while you will deteriorate and weaken. Bed rest is the ideal treatment for poisoning.
- One of the most common and proven treatments for poisoning is using activated charcoal (black or white). Take 1 tablet per 10 kg of body weight. So if your weight is 50 kg., you have to take 5 tablets; afterwards you should only drink plain water, no tea or juice.
- You may also induce vomiting. Vomiting will quickly get rid of food particles that caused poisoning. Inducing vomiting can be done in many ways. For example, you may drink a few glasses of warm water, and then push a spoon (or a clean finger) on the base of the tongue, or lightly touch the back of the throat. You may also use mustard powder (1 tsp diluted in a glass of warm water) or baking soda (1/2 tsp diluted in a glass of warm water).
- Remember that when you induce vomiting after poisoning, the body becomes dehydrated, which is also accompanied by the loss of essential salts. You need to provide fluids and administer drugs that restore water and salt balance in the body.
- You can help stop diarrhea by using Smectite or analogue, it will protect the colon against viruses and toxins and reduce inflamed mucous membranes. After controlling diarrhea, you need to restore intestinal flora after poisoning by using Bifiform, Hilak forte, baktisubtil, etc.
- Antibiotics may only be used after laboratory tests and recommendation by your doctor. You should not treat bacterial infection alone, you should consult a doctor to prescribe the ideal antibiotic.
- Help overcome nausea by using infusion of mint. Use 1 tsp of mint leaves to brew a cup of hot water.
- Poisoning may also be treated with an infusion of pomegranate peel. It has to be finely cut and placed in a glass of boiling water. Drink infusion in small sips.
- Within a few days after poisoning, you must adhere to a sparing diet. On the first day of recovery you must only eat unsweetened tea and crackers, boiled beef and mashed potatoes without a drop of oil and milk and low-fat chicken broth. You can also eat liquid porridge, cooked in water.
- Remember, vomiting and increased body temperature is not always a sign of poisoning. These symptoms may occur in viral hepatitis, meningitis, encephalitis, upper respiratory infections, whooping cough, gastroenteritis. These symptoms may be accompanied by vomiting, appendicitis, pancreatitis, uremia or cholehemia. So if there is any doubt that the vomiting is caused by poisoning, it is best to see a doctor.
Was this article helpful? Share with friends!